Importance of Accurate Measurements in Eyewear Fitting

I’ve been reflecting on how crucial accurate measurements are for our patients’ eyewear. A minor miscalculation can lead to discomfort or even visual issues. I recently used a digital pupillometer, and the precision was remarkable — definitely something I’d recommend incorporating into fittings for better outcomes.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‌‍​‌​⁠​‌​‌​‌‍‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍‌‍‌​​‍‌​‍‌‌‌​​‌​⁠⁠​⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠‌‌‍​‌‌​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I’ve had great success using a digital pupillometer too, especially during busy hours when speed is key. But I’ve also found that taking the time for manual measurements can catch things a machine might miss, like changes in facial symmetry. It’s all about balancing precision with efficiency, right?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌‍‌‍‍‍‌‌‍‌​⁠​‌‌​‍⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠‌​‌​‌​‌​‌‌‌​‌​‌​‌‍​⁠‌​​‍‌‍‍‍‌‌‌‍​‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Accurate measurements really are key! I once had a patient who felt like they were seeing through a keyhole because the pupillary distance was off just a millimeter. @lisa_martin89, have you noticed any patterns in measurements that commonly trip you up?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‌‌​​⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍⁠‍‌​‍⁠​‍⁠‌‌​​‍‌⁠​‌‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌⁠‍‍‌‌‌​‌​​‌‌​⁠‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

You’re spot on about precision, @clayton_k. I remember one time I measured a patient’s PD and it was off by just a couple of millimeters, and they felt like they were wearing binoculars! A digital pupillometer is fantastic, but I still find double-checking manually when time allows can prevent those ‘keyhole’ moments.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‌‍​⁠​​‌‌​⁠‌​⁠‌‌⁠‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‌‍‍‌‍‍​‌‌⁠⁠‌‌​​‌​⁠‌​⁠‍‌‌⁠‌‍‌‍⁠‌‌‌​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌