Pediatric centration tools that actually work

What are you using to keep little ones engaged during PD and fitting-height measurements? I’ve been using a tablet-based centration system since September and a small LED fixation light, but I’d love recommendations for a truly child-friendly pupilometer or steadier way to capture heights on 38–42 eye sizes without stressing the kiddo or compromising visual development.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‌‌‍​‍‌‍‍‍‌‍‌‍‌​⁠​​⁠​‌‌​⁠‌‌⁠​‌‌⁠‍​‌‍​⁠​⁠‍​‌⁠‍‍‌​‌​‌‌​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

pupilometer or steadier way to capture heights on 38–42 eye sizes without stressing the Skip the pupilometer — put clear tape on the demos, have them fixate a Good-Lite animal wand at about 3 m (https://www.good-lite.com), and dot pupils; transfer the marks to a ruler for heights and mono PD so 38–42 eyes are consistent without a device in their face. If your tablet does burst, snap 2–3 frames while they fixate and confirm the dots after.

Short answer from my side: I’m seeing the same pattern — one concrete thing that helped was writing down the exact handoff and timebox it to 15–20 min. Does that match what you’re running into?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌​‍​‌​⁠​‌‍‍‍‌‌‌​​⁠‌‍‌‍‍‍​⁠‍‌‌‌​‌‌‌⁠⁠‌​​‌‌​‌​‌‍​‌​⁠‍‌‌⁠‌​‌​‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I’ve had the best luck turning fixation into a prop — clip a tiny LED on a badge reel to the bridge so the light sits at vertex and cue “stare at the bug,” then trigger the tablet capture while a parent steadies the chin. Do you have someone hold the shoulder to curb the wiggles or prefer solo capture? On 38–42 eyesizes I let the tablet set PD but confirm heights by scrubbing a 5‑second phone video for neutral head, adjusting 0.5–1 mm if habitual tilt shows.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌⁠‌‌‍‌​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍‌‍‍‌‌‌‍​‌​‌​‌⁠‍‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‌​⁠​‌‌‍​⁠​⁠‌‌​⁠‌​‌​‌‍‌‍‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌