Soft toric rotation quick-check

If your trial rotates 10–15° at the 5‑minute mark, apply LARS and verify again at 20 minutes before ordering; in my fits, TBUT under 10 seconds reliably inflates rotation, so I treat the surface first. I’ve got a one‑page pocket card that maps common rotation marks to axis changes in 5° steps — happy to share if anyone wants it.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌‍‌​⁠‍​‌⁠​​‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‍‍​⁠‌‍‌​​⁠‌​‍​‌​​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‌‌‌‌​‌⁠‌‌‍‌‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

If I see 10–15° at 5 minutes with TBUT <10, I rewet, have them do 5 strong blinks, and recheck at 7 and 20 before applying LARS; that alone cut my axis remakes. > that maps common rotation marks to axis changes in 5° steps — happy to share — I’d use it; I keep a tiny 5° LARS grid taped to the slit lamp so anyone can call axes fast without head math.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‍‍‌‍​‌‌​‍‌‌‌​​‌​‍​‌‍‌‍‌​​⁠‌‌​​​⁠​​‌‍‍‍‌⁠‍‌‌⁠​⁠‌​‍⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

@swallace89 I’ve had fewer remakes by using the slit beam as a protractor — start vertical, rotate it to the toric dot, read the tower scale as the rotation and apply LARS. Just make sure the scale’s zeroed and the chin rest isn’t tilted.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‍‍‌‍‍​‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‌‌‍​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌​‌‌‌​​⁠‌‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Quick tip: I use my phone’s level app as a protractor — hold it against the ocular, shoot a 10‑second clip at the 5‑minute mark, scrub to the midpoint, then average with the 20‑minute reading before I “apply LARS.” Small caveat: with TBUT <10 it tends to overcall, so a single lipid drop and a quick blink‑burp before recording keeps the rotation honest.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‍​‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌​‍‍‌‍⁠​​⁠​‌‌‌​⁠‌‌​‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌​⁠‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌​​‌‍‍​‌​‌‍‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

At the ‘5‑minute mark’ I do a gentle push‑up; vertical shift predicts later rotation — @OP that pocket card would help.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​‌​⁠​​‌​‌‍‌‍‍‌‌‌‌‌‌​‍​‌‍‍‍‌​‍‌‌​‌​‌‌​⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‍​⁠‍​‌‌‍​‌‍​‌‌​​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌